Official Site of Speaker, Historian and Author Sean Munger

Missing Persons, Spotlight

Disappeared: Mitchel Weiser and Bonita Bickwit, missing 40 years today. [includes video]

On July 27, 1973, forty years ago today, Mitchel Weiser, age 16, and his girlfriend Bonita “Bonnie” Bickwit, age 15, both from Brooklyn, disappeared somewhere between Narrowsburg and Watkins Glen, New York. Their disappearance on the way back from–or, more likely, the way to–the Summer Jam Festival, then the largest rock concert on planet Earth, has been the subject of speculation, reflection and confusion for nearly half a century. It is one of the most puzzling and most iconic missing persons cases of its era, but at its heart are two families who still, 40 years later, feel the loss of their children and siblings who went off to a rock concert one summer Friday morning–and never returned.

To say I am particularly interested in this case is something of an understatement. I am virtually obsessed with it. I can think of only one missing persons case (Jay Pringle, who vanished in 1977) where I’ve read and researched more. For this article I’m going to draw not only on my usual resource, the Charley Project, but the website the Bickwit and Weiser families created in their honor, I hope they don’t mind that I present some of their material, including photos, here.

mitchelandbonnie 40 yrs

The front page of, showing the counter at 40 years, 0 months, 0 days.

What Do We Know Happened?

Mitch and Bonnie were two bright teenagers who met and fell in love at the school they both attended in Brooklyn, John Dewey High School. Mitch worked at a photography shop on Coney Island, while Bonnie worked that summer at Camp Wel-Met in Narrowsburg, New York. They were evidently really into each other–earlier in the summer they had exchanged wedding rings and considered themselves husband and wife, even though they were only 16 and 15, respectively. You can see Mitch’s wedding ring on this picture of him, though it’s on the wrong finger. Give him a break, he was only 16.


Being children of the groovy ’70s, Mitch and Bonnie really wanted to go to the Summer Jam Festival. They had plenty of company–about 600,000 people attended, and by one estimate, perhaps 20% of the entire population of New York State under 25 was in attendance. From everything I’ve read on the case, going to the concert was Mitch’s idea. His determination to see Summer Jam rivals my desire to go to Wacken Open Air every year. Bonnie wanted to see it too. She couldn’t get time off her job to go to the concert, so she quit her job.

Transportation was the problem. I recall reading or hearing–perhaps in one of the video stories on the case–that a member of Mitch’s family tried to talk him out of going, because it was too hard to get there. Mitch didn’t want to hear it. A resourceful kid, he set out on the evening of Thursday, July 26 for Narrowsburg, where Bonnie was in residence. Hitchhiking was the typical  mode of transportation for kids in the ’70s, and at this time no one thought it was dangerous. How innocent we were!

Mitch did make it to Camp Wel-Met. We know he was there on Friday morning, July 27, because he had breakfast with his girlfriend at the camp’s dining hall. Sometime after that, they left the camp. According to the Charley Project:

Together they set off for the concert, which was 75 miles away. It is believed that Mitchel and Bonita had approximately $25 between them. They carried backpacks, sleeping bags, and a cardboard sign that read “Watkins Glen.” Mitchel also carried a gray and olive-green plaid flannel shirt. They were last seen hitchhiking along State Route 97. The truck driver who gave them a ride is the last confirmed person to have seen them. It’s unclear whether they actually arrived in Watkins Glen.

Did They Make It?

It is unclear whether Mitch and Bonnie actually achieved their objective of going to Watkins Glen. From my review of the case, I’m almost certain they did not. With 600,000 people crowding the race track where the Summer Jam concert was held, surely somebody would have seen them. Especially if 20% of New York State’s under-25 population was there, and as popular as these kids were, it’s a certainty that a fair number of their friends were there. I know from Wacken that trying to find a particular person at a big rock venue is like looking for a needle in a haystack–and Wacken at its height has 8 1/2 times less people than were at Watkins Glen–but with all the publicity this case received, I can’t imagine that if they were there, somebody has not come forward saying they saw them.

So logically, whatever happened to Mitchel and Bonnie happened on Friday, July 27, before Summer Jam began, and it seems to have happened somewhere on the road between Narrowsburg and Watkins Glen.

The “River of No Return?”

In the year 2000, Mitch’s classmates at Dewey High School organized a memorial for the kids, who had now been missing 27 years. They planted a tree and a memorial plaque was laid. The press focus on the case spurred officials, including then Governor Elliot Spitzer, to reopen the investigation, which the Weiser family in particular had called slipshod and incomplete. They were profiled on the MSNBC show “Missing Persons.” The show generated an interesting lead. The following material is quoted from a proposal, posted on the memorial web site, which was made to CBS’s “48 Hours” show to profile the case again. The document (in .PDF) is here:

Alan Smith, from Providence, RI, claimed to have hitched with Mitchel and Bonnie and to have witnessed their drowning…Smith said that he and Mitch and Bonnie got into an orange VW Bus with Pennsylvania license plates, the day after the concert to hitch home. Smith, 24 years old in 1973, described himself and the driver as very stoned. The kids not. He said they stopped at a big river, the Susquehanna or Chemung, to cool off. He heard Bonnie scream and then saw her in the river. He saw Mitchel jump in after her to save her. He said he and the driver watched as the kids were pulled by the current around a bend. Smith and the unknown driver went back in the van and drove away. They never notified police of the “accident” or tried to get help. Smith and the driver parted ways at the turnoff to Pennsylvania where the bus was headed.

[Investigators] checked out all the coroner offices along the Chemung or Susquehanna rivers. No bodies had ever been found…During these 27 years a body, bones, let alone two bodies should have “surfaced.”

Smith never could identify Mitchel and Bonnie from photos or clearly describe what they wore. He claims not to find ID, yet their belongings still had to be in that VW bus after they drowned.

Investigators evidently pressured Mr. Smith to submit to a polygraph examination, which he refused. There was also, at this same time, a supposed “confession” to the murders of Mitch and Bonnie by a serial killer who was, as of that time (2000 and early 2001) in custody. No one seems to have taken this confession seriously, as the killer was quite insane. There was also a “lead” not even worth mentioning because it came from a psychic. No psychic has ever solved a missing persons case, and none ever will; all they do is leech off grieving families.

I don’t believe the “River of No Return” story. In my opinion the author of the .PDF document–Mitch’s sister–is absolutely right to be skeptical. For starters, supposedly this happened after the concert was over, and you’ve already heard my theory on why I believe they never made it to Summer Jam. Why would these two guys not report a drowning? If it happened as they said, they would have no fear of legal repercussions–maybe they would get tagged for being stoned, but when two innocent people are dead, is a misdemeanor pot charge really a big deal? From my own years as a lawyer I’m very skeptical of people who refuse polygraph tests, especially when they have absolutely nothing to lose, legally, by being proven to be telling the truth. I don’t believe this story.

So What Did Happen?

Whoever knows what happened to Mitch and Bonnie has been remarkably closed-mouthed about it for 40 years. That suggests a crime was committed, which the perpetrator was obviously reluctant to discuss; perhaps he or she is now dead. But even criminals sometimes do confess, years later, especially if they’re dying or already in custody for other crimes.

Or, it could be that whatever happened, no one was there to witness. This is probably less likely, but still possible. It’s remotely possible that some circumstances arose where Mitch and Bonnie went off alone into a wilderness area, where they might have fallen victim to some sort of genuine accident. Less likely still is that, if this happened, both of their bodies vanished without a discernible trace. I guess it’s possible but not likely.

Another possibility is that they did reach Watkins Glen, perhaps late at night on July 27, and something happened to them there. This doesn’t seem likely. With 600,000 people around and more arriving every minute, what do you do with a body, much less two bodies? Who isn’t going to notice something out of the ordinary?

Where does this leave us? I’m not sure it leaves us much of anywhere. From studying missing persons cases, my best hypothesis is as follows.

1) Mitch and Bonnie were the victims of a crime.

2) The crime occurred before, rather than after, they would have reached Watkins Glen, which means it happened on July 27.

3) The perpetrator was alone. If he/she wasn’t, where are the witnesses?

4) The perpetrator is now deceased, and probably died before 2000, when the flurry of publicity surrounding the case arose.

I believe these are logical inferences, but beyond these bare inferences, anything else is just pure conjecture.

Will There Ever Be Closure?

Even as young as they were and as long as they’ve been gone, the disappearance of these young people has had a ripple effect that can’t be understood unless you’re a part of it. I know that Mitch’s family has kept the same phone number they had in 1973 active, even though they now live in Arizona, in case he ever wants to contact them. In the era of cell phones, Facebook, Twitter and text messaging that’s rather quaint–it’s not like he’s going to step out of a time warp, still 16 and unaware that any time has passed since 1973, and try to pick up where he left off; that sort of thing only happens in science fiction movies. But you see in this detail the anguish of a family who never had closure, and to whom this anniversary, like all the others, like every day, must be particularly painful.

Mitchel Weiser and Bonita Bickwit were  bright kids, loved by their families. You can tell that just from the memorial website, and especially the comments left by people who knew them or by people who are (like me) total strangers but who have been touched by the case. I never try to forget, when I deal with missing persons cases, that they are at their hearts deeply human tragedies. You cannot wish this hell on anybody. It’s awful, it’s life-scarring.

I pray tonight for Mitchel Weiser, Bonita Bickwit and for their families. Let them not be forgotten.


Here are some videos about the case.

MSNBC show on the case, part 1:

Part 2:

The tree planting ceremony at John Dewey High School, 2000:

The short video I made to publicize the case:


  1. My account of the disappearance of Mitch and Bonnie. Pretty much taken from the same source information as Sean’s. I agree with your theory at the end of the article. But Sean, even if the perpertrator was 40 he would only be 80 now and he was probably much younger. So I think there is a chance the person who has the answers is still out there.

  2. JoLayne Ward

    I believe they either ran off to live happily ever after but most likely foul play. I don’t buy the drowning theory or the confession. I also don’t think they would’ve wandered about if they were wanting to make the concert on time. My theory is they were picked up, Mitch killed and his body disposed and Bonnie driven away for the perpetrator to have his way with and then her killed and dumped elsewhere. I’m an advocate for missing persons due to my grandfather’s 40 year disappearance. I found him in 2002. He died in the street in California 6 years after he disappeared from Texas. I also was obsessed in my search and the suffering is indeed how you described it. I have an online story about him and a young man I found that had been missing 14 years. I am currently working on a nearly 40 year old case of 3 girls that went missing in Fort Worth, Texas in 74. You can read about them at Missing persons is a very worthy cause and I strongly believe in it, as you seem to. The “not knowing” is indescribable. Have you checked the Doenetwork for unidentified bodies @ Mitch and Bonnie are on this site as well. Continue believing and never give up hope. Hope will bring them home. Blessings to you for advocating for the cause. JoLayne in Texas.

  3. Hi Sean, I too, have been interested in this case for a long time. I am grew up in Sullivan County. I think I will “retrace” the day and drive the route Bonnie and Mitch would have taken that day.

  4. NH

    This is a very compelling case. Perhaps they are concealed somewhere. But they can’t be that far off the route. I agree with Sean’s analysis.

  5. Smitty

    The “bureau” has been digging next to a place on Keuka Lake THIS WEEK looking for these two…

    • actually…they were digging at my house. It has been going on for the last few years. We actually had to sign a release to let the police dig on our property. They had dogs, sonar equipment etc. It went on from the Summer of 2012 until we moved in 2014. They dug graves etc but we don’t know if they found anything.

  6. cliff

    Sean the site you show as being Wel Met (approximately) is just N or Narrowsburg NY at a bend in the river where there is a camp site and a camp store but not proximate to either Wel Camp sites. The Barryville WM site is on York Lake which is 41°29’40.40″ N 74°57’58.34″ W and the Narrowsburg WM site is 41°35’05.25″ N 74°54’40.85″ W. Just an FYI

  7. Raven

    Check out the “Sumter County Does” case from SC. Could these two be the two kids found there? Yes, it’s three years later, but if they did run away…?

    • Thanks for the suggestion. I think we can safely rule out the Sumter County Does. The man in that case was three inches taller than Mitchel Weiser and possibly as much as a decade older. The girl in the Sumter County Does case had blue eyes; Bonnie Bickwit’s were brown. I don’t think there’s much chance of a connection there.

  8. Linda Reynolds

    Is it possible they never got out of Wel Met? Who knows about the personal detail s of their lives? Who she worked with at Wel Met. I worked every month at Wel Met for 6 years in the nineties. I was a trainer at the training camp the NYCVC.

    A running joke, but we all took it seriously, was the camp was haunted. Staff lived in the big white house and there were very suspicious goings on for years.

    There were locals to that lived full there on grounds or nearby, deer hunters and stuff. kind of a strange crowd.

    Goddard Riverside ran the place when I was there. Do they have any records?



    • Wow. What a remarkably compassionate comment. [sarcasm]

      Sorry to tell you, Mr. Smith, but conclusive evidence does turn up in missing persons cases after even longer times than has elapsed in this one. Witness what happened in the Williams-Rios-Johnson case just this past September after 43 years. I presume you would have advised the families of these missing people to “MOVE ON AND GET A LIFE” and not care about the new developments in the case?

    • Perhaps someday you, Ted Smith, will be looking for a deeply loved family member who has been gone for many years, and instead of helping you..we will ALL tell you to “MOVE ON & GET A LIFE”!!!!!!

  10. Wow Ted,

    On the chance you are more then your average brain dead troll I am going to take it you decided you couldn’t keep your ignorance hidden any longer, so you decided to demonstrate how little you know in caps.

    FYI a couple of examples that prove you are wrong.

    Kathleen Anita Wrinkle, 27, disappeared from Cleveland, Tennessee on February 22, 1956. She was recovered on March 9, 2008, fifty three years later. At the time she was identified survivors included her brother, Carroll Ramsey Wrinkle of Dallas, Texas; sister-in-law, Betty Brice Wrinkle of Mascot, Tennessee; and niece, Evelyn Wrinkle Caylor Cross of Cleveland, who lived with her prior to her disappearance. In fact Kathleen and Evelyn were planning to go skating the day she vanished.

    The family never stopped looking for Kathleen and extended “its deep appreciation” to the members of law enforcement, civilian volunteers and journalist who had been involved in the search.

    Fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Lurene Ernstein was walking home from school in Mentone, California when she vanished without a on March 19, 1968. Her parents, Ruth and Norman Ernstein, spent thousands of dollars in the months following their daughter’s disappearance to alert the media of Elizabeth’s story.

    44 years later, in May 2012, the San Bernardino County coroner’s division received “additional information” suggesting the possibility that Elizabeth remains had been recovered in 1969 but not identified.

    Elizabeth’s remains were found in a shallow grave near Wrightwood, a town 6,000 feet up in the San Gabriel Mountains, about 35 miles west of Mentone but misidentified as a 17 year old boy with long hair. Volunteers working with the coroner’s office found that mistake when they exhumed the remains. Her brother and sister, who never stopped hoping for answers, provided DNA sample‘s that were found to be a match in September 2012.

    So Ted its better to remain silent on a subject you know nothing about and be though a fool, then comment and remove all doubt

  11. DJ Cole

    I have heard that they might be actually living in Watkins Glen, New York and wish to be left alone; living life quietly on a small farm near Burdett. Who knows? Worth checking.

  12. Goldezlocks

    I read that someone came forward recently saying she fell in to a creek/body of water and was being carried away by the current when he jumped in after her. Then everyone lost site of both of them. For some unknown reason, no one thought to get help and just continued on with their journey. It seems very unlikely that had they both drowned their bodies were never found. But it would explain why it’s still unsolved.

  13. Carol Ann

    Watkins Glenn is right near Seneca Lake one of the deepest lakes in the US. My theory is that they hitched a ride one night either during the concert weekend or afterwards for a ride home and it went off one of the dozens of boat ramps around the lake. The roads are very dark and unlit . In the early 70’s it was even more desolate in places, lots of small cabins on large pieces of land. Most of the homes and condos there now did not exist. With the finding of the trio in Foss Lake I don’t think it is much of a stretch.
    They had very little money, so who would want to rob or hurt them? Girls hitchhiking alone have always been vulnerable but a couple would be far safer. They both had loving and supportive families at home. They would have been able to legally marry within a few years so no need to run away.

  14. Andy

    Check out the podcast “The Vanished”… In the newest episode about these two, Detective Barnes, who is the new detective on the case, is following a very credible lead somewhere on Keuka Lake. This lead is credible enough that they are digging on a property and somebody related to this matter has “lawyered up”. I grew up in this area (Elmira, NY) and have heard a lot of stories about Summer Jam ’73 in Watkins Glen, NY but until just a couple of hours ago I had never heard about this case. It just so happened that I listen to The Vanished every week and this episode just uploaded tonight. As you can imagine I became very enthralled with it right away and took to the Internet after just listening to it… If there really is something to this lead then that would mean Mitchel & Bonnie would have indeed made it to the concert and then something happened during or after the concert. If not, they at least would have made it to that area where the concert was before something happening, because Keuka Lake is west of Watkins Glen, past the place they were trying to get to. Keuka is about 20-30 mins west of Watkins and the race track the festival was held at. Knowing that area, I’m not sure about back then, but Schuyler and Yates County is pretty redneck and rural… I’m guessing they were preyed upon by some hilljack psycho that took advantage of all the young people being in the area (half million people, mostly young kids)… In 2011 I attended Superball 9, Phish’s music festival, on the very same site as Summer Jam. Even being from the area originally, you can tell who are from out of town and who the local rednecks are attending just because it is there or the local rednecks working security… Same thing at Bonnaroo in Tennessee (another festival I’ve attended a few times)… I just have a feeling they met a terrible fate at the hands of a local scumbag. Maybe we will know something soon.

Comments are Closed

Theme by Anders Norén