It’s over. Late this afternoon I posted Chapter 43 of my World War II spy serial The Armored Satchel on JukePop Serials. It is the final chapter. The story is now over.
In the final chapter, World War II ends, at least most of the loose ends are tied up and you will finally learn what becomes of Max upon the coming of peace. Will he be able to stay in America? Will he find his parents? Will the OSS hire him as a spy full-time? Or will his dangerous adventures continue? Find out in Chapter 43!
To go immediately to Chapter 43, go here.
The first chapter of The Armored Satchel went up on JukePop Serials on March 25, 2013, one week shy of a year ago. I can’t believe I’ve been at it a year. It’s been a great deal of fun, but the time has come to move on to other things. With readership declining and my interests going elsewhere, I thought it was time to bring Max’s adventures to a close. But who knows, there may be more in the future!
I recorded a little video message which is appended to Chapter 43, and I’ll reproduce it here below.
This afternoon I went back through the whole serial and tallied up all the cliffhangers and dangers, everything Max has been through. It’s pretty impressive. I don’t think there’s a more fitting tribute to the serial than this summation. So, as my farewell to The Armored Satchel, here is the grand total of Max Volcker’s trials and tribulations.
- Car into water.
- Motorcycle into water.
- Strafed by aircraft, 2 times.
- Near-drowning, 2 times.
- Forced to walk the plank.
- Bomb explosion, 2 times.
- Train crash.
- Air raid.
- Burning building, 2 times.
- Car explosion.
- Plane drop (with parachute), 2 times.
- Plane drop (without parachute), once.
- Lost at sea.
- Married, wife killed by Nazis.
- Boyfriends killed: 2.
- Trapped in a Panzer tank.
- Bar fight.
- Aliases/false identities: at least 10 (I lost count).
- Captured by Allies, 2 times.
- Captured by Nazis, 2 times.
- Captured by Soviets, 2 times.
- Enemies killed by direct action: 5.
- Enemies killed indirectly, at least 50. (I lost count).
- Countries visited: 9 (France, Germany, Great Britain, USSR, USA, Belgium, Poland, Switzerland and Portugal).
I think he needs a rest, don’t you?